View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #71
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Re: Randori...we don't do enough of it

Chris, what I saw in the video, to me, isn't randori. It's a serial drill with attackers coming one at a time doing pretty much the same type of attacks... it's a great training drill for sure.

What I mean by randori is an attack (that isn't programmed or agreed upon in advance) to achieve total affect and control over the other person with a response from the attackee that works (takes total control over the attacker such that they can't continue) and if that doesn't happen the attacker continues to attack until they achieve control. In real randori, this shouldn't last more than two or possibly three cycles. Higher level skill, it shouldn't go past the first attack. It doesn't matter if we're going slow, medium, or fast, this is the goal. Now, there are many, many ways to do something similar that are drills meant to practice certain skills, etc. But randori should be as close as possible to a real encounter. At high levels, multiple attackers work well, we don't do much of it because the techniques that really work against multiple aggressors are short, sweet, and very nasty. You don't have time to mess around. Doing attacks one at a time by multiple people isn't the same thing. Going fast in randori is dangerous and only for high level people with very good ukemi. When we go slow the same things happen but in slow motion. I learned to go slow from a real expert at doing real human movement slowly in Paris in the late sixties. Maitre Marcel Marceau was a really good budoka.

Our higher level people can practice the junana hon kata as fast as possible with closed fist boxing style jabs, etc. to the face. It's pretty exciting to watch (and take part in...). This can only be done because of slow training in kata and then randori for a good number of years leading up to full speed.

I have seen kali and escrima in the Philippines and here in the states done at high speed doing what I call randori. However, only by extremely skillful high level practitioners and only for a short time ended by small, sort of evil smiles on their face. Similar stuff can be seen by very high level people in many arts in my experience.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org