View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #92
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States
Re: Arm locks... really???????

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
I wasn't trying to debate the pros and cons of chokes in ending fights. Obviously any skilled grappler will know how to defend against submissions (which is why submissions are much more rare in mma then they were in it's birth). I was just asking about training your neck to resist choking. More directly, if that training was referring to being able to resist the effects of choking or just the ability to prevent the attacker from sinking the choke.

In my personal experience, I have seen guys with strong necks (big body builders) just as easy to choke (or as hard to choke if they were trained) as guys with pencil necks.
I am sorry Don,

Yes, I agree. The strength training of my neck was more for general fighting defense. The softer training, the stretching of the fascia and the form of breathing aided in my body being able to relax and oxygenate itself under the pressures of a choke.

Does it prevent the choke? I would say it bought me time when I was attacked with chokes. What I did with that time was the critical issue.

I meant no offense in my earlier response. I can get sidetracked sometimes by the gestalt and larger context.

Be well,

Chris