View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #50
DH
United_States
Re: Arm locks... really???????

Quote:
Chris Parkerson wrote: View Post
Hi Dan,

I agree that one must keep the six harmonies intact. Posture and connection is indeed the foundation to all efficient movement.
But it is hard to debate a guy who proved his theories through Judo competition like Hal did. His guns weren't more than 18 " and his weight is and has most always been 165 pounds. Yet, I do not think he ever lost to a juji after the 1970's. He could do isolated dumbbell curls with 100 pounds and did his balistic nautilus curl practice with 100 and more when we trained together.

His theories were about speed-strength. In his mind, he was a quarter horse outmaneuvering Clydesdales. So consider this, you've got position for juji, right as his arm begins to straighten, Hal instinctively could delay the isolation of his arm, use this speed strength to blast his whole body (unified) through your leg position, using (stealing) the force of your own Juji positioning against you.

That was his main tactic when attacked by juji. He entered rather than retreated. He used your energy against you. When he was coaching with Phil Porter at the USJA in Colorado Springs, people pooh poohed his training saying , " aw, that's Hal's stuff". Yet he was might hard to beat.

His record speaks for itself.
Hello Chris
His record doesn't speak for itself. In a way, no one's fight record does. All a fight recrd does is prove you can fight.
Think of it this way;
Plenty of boxers can "outbox" other guys...you can't use that fight record to say they had a knockout punch.
Plenty of jujutsu guys can out maneuver others....it's doesn't mean they have internal power
And your fella could have a great fight record it doesn't mean his method should be anyone's goal in the martial arts.
Part of the problem we all share is we lack good information and in order to make things work, we opt for modern interpretations as the correct model for the older arts we don't understand. The power and skill of small men over large men (repeated so often in the arts that in itself has become boring) is the legendary power every artists should be after. Every westerner I have ever met simply doesn't have clue how to put that model together and to good use.
Cheers
Dan