View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #15
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom
Re: Arm locks... really???????

Quote:
Alec Corper wrote: View Post
First off the guy was drunk and uncoordinated. the takedown was good but really dangerous if you don't know if the guy is armed. that's just my personal take on things, I don't want to go to the ground with the other guy even in a one on one, but them I'm 60 so perhaps that plays a role. i also train sometimes with dull blades and know how fast they can be accessed. Being on top of someone means controlling their hands at all times whilst ensuring they don't bite your face off!
Yes, chokes work but they are potential law suits and they can be misjudged especially with someone on drugs or very hyped up.
i'm reminded of something Paul Vunak once said upon being asked what was the most powerful technique he knew, "A Tai Chi throw", then after a pause, "in the direction of a moving car".
Situational awareness to me means using anything and everything as a weapon or a shield. In confined environments foot traps and bumps into the wall and tables resulting in sprains or contusions allowing for escape are preferable to tying yourself up with arm locks or chokes IMHO.
I appreciated the way the guy in the video remained calm in the face of "the verbals" but there was never any real intent in the assailant, so it made everything a bit easier.
From start to finish - takedown to unconsciousness - it was what?: three, four seconds?
While he's going from standing to the ground, he has no chance to pull a knife; when he's on the ground, and Ryan Hall is on his back, Ryan Hall has the ability and opportunity to control either his arms, or neck - hell: he could control all three, if he wanted/needed to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHhezD_qn_8

...plus: even if he did have his arms free, is it really possible to pull a knife, and use it, when someone applies a rear naked choke - particularly one that puts you unconscious what: one, two seconds after application?
Being strangled tends to hamper your motor skills (and trying to pull a knife, rather than counter the strangle is tactically dubious, since you're interested in that aspect).