View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Internal Power/Strength (IS/IP) in relation to non-human contact

Quote:
Brett Zimmerman wrote: View Post
Im curious if you know about how old Ueshiba was during this time?

Morihei Ueshiba was known to be physically very strong in his day.

But then you have to also consider there are accounts from different lineages, and even different arts entirely that mention great masters in their older years not having the strength required to perform simple mundane actions like opening a jar, or even walking in some cases (after a stroke, etc) but being able to throw around bigger younger guys.

From AikidoJournal.com:
"By around 1975 when I had my own dojo Sensei had quite weak legs and needed a stick and his wife's shoulder when he walked. However, once he stood in the dojo wearing a keikogi (training uniform) he suddenly looked like a huge rock. It was truly impressive." by Katsumi Yonezawa

There are similar anecdotes about Sagawa, and Hong Jun Sheng.
Dear Brett,
My own Judo teacher , Tam Mc Dermott, ffrom Glasgow, a man almost forgotten sad to say , by Scttish judoka, was such a person who could appear to change the minute he put on a gi.Tam was 9) percent disabled and if you saw him walking from a distance he shuffled along the road. You could tell it was him by his gait a mile away.On arrival at the dojo [an old delapidated cold ex army nissan hut ] he would change into his gi.It was like watching a transformation. He was technically superb.I knew him for 13 years[from age 16 -29 ] and I never once saw anyone throw him.I was a kenshusei in the dojo and he drove myself and others to exhaustion point.He was a brilliant motivator of people. Unlike todays Judoka he maintained a upright posture.He used to call guys who crouched Bell Ringers ie like the Hunchback of Notre Dame.Sad to say he died with very few of his colleagues to bid him farewell.It was a tragiic end to a most remarkable man.He still has a place in my heart aftr all these years. I cherish his memory, Joe.