View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #16
Matusiam
Dojo: Chishin Dojo
England
Re: IP : videos, explanations and hopefully more

Wow !

So many post with useful and informative input - thank you very much gentleman. I was thinking that qi gong could help out in terms of internal training.

@Dave de Vos : So what internal art are you practising at the moment ? Who are you following (if that is not a secret) ?

Regarding the fact that not everyone gets to actually understand IP is maybe like tennis - you can play with your friend but only few get to the top of the ATP list... Just a guess.

Now, about Ki / Qi. I don't really believe that I can manipulate / bend Ki to my will (I'm not a monk of any kind that meditates every day and devotes his life for that purpose - hence I'm kinda doubtful that an average person can control Ki). I've came across people that are Ki practitioners. Lots of muscle power is involved - that is what I can say from my personal experience. To me the Ki thing could be explained in my own terms. As my background is tennis, when I play I don't really think about how to coordinate my arm, hips, leg (and the rest of the body) is order to play the ball across the court - that is my intent to play the ball there and my body simply follows. But this only happens because I have spend years drilling that (learning the body movement to actually perform the task), so when I think (intent) about playing the ball across the court then my body knows what to do without me thinking about my body. This way I focus on the game (tactics) rather then on how to get the ball to the other side. I can be wrong, but seems like there is alot of intent work in the internal arts. Based on the logic I've described above (I think its just called muscle memory) it looks like things like : "think your arm is very heavy" needs to backed up with a physical movement (it can be micro movement not really visible to the human eye) in order for the heavy arm to actually work (intent triggers muscle memory action related to it).

Also I'm not saying that practising an internal art will make me a fighter. Its just very interesting that actually apart from the set of techniques that you learn on the class there are much deeper things you can play with and try and incorporate into your training (obviously as I can see the path to get there is not an easy one, but if it would be simple then there would be no desire to try and learn it). Even Ikeda Sensei said that reading one book for 25+ years will not make you progress with your art and your (he mentioned) Aikido will not age with you. So staying in my comfort zone will result in me not learning anything new and always resigning back to what I know = no progress regardless of how many years of practice.

@Henry Sim : Do you find any visible progress with what Mr Dan has been teaching you ? As I guess you have been given some solo exercises to do. Do you see any changes ?