View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #68
Belt_Up
Dojo: Dynamic Aikido Nocquet
United Kingdom
Re: your number one technique

Quote:
I have seen with my own eyes about 10 years ago the Italian Champion of Karate (cannot remember which federation though) being beaten up by two normal guys who simply were brave enough to hit him with a bottle on his face first. He was rushed to the hospital and not one single chance to hit his aggressors back. A life on the dojo, to end up like that in a real fight...
What was his name? Where and when did this happen? Not that it matters because this is one example. I could tell numerous stories of martial artists knocking ten bells out of their opponents, it means nothing. One example, no matter how personally significant, means absolutely nothing, it's just not statistically significant. As someone much much smarter than me said, "The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." The stories that we think are so important and so worth telling are in fact worthless. They tell us nothing about what happens to people who intercede in crime. For that, you would have to collate thousands of incidents.

Quote:
Persons are all too inclined to figure a fight like something where, since your counterpart is human, you are the actor who is arriving and beating the living daylights out of him like the hero of the day, and the other is the passive and callow taker.
This is a fair point, albeit I have already made it. But the criminal is making exactly the same assumptions. He's living his life thinking he is the main event. I'm not sure anyone over the age of twenty thinks there are such things as good guys and bad guys, so "Sometimes the bad guys win." is a puerile and pretty immature point to be making if you're addressing another adult.

Quote:
If you engage in a fist fight without boxing gloves, you will inflict to each other terrible wounds with just a few punches.
Doubtful. The worst I've done is broken a knuckle. Though perhaps we differ on the meaning of the term 'terrible'. Black eyes, split lips, etc are all very minor and par for the course for punches to the face. Unless you're a male model or something, you've got nothing to worry about.

Quote:
One of these consequences (and to be sure: I bring the irreparable damages of what I am saying in my own flesh and body, of which I am reminded every single day)
That's unfortunate for you, but here we have the problem. You only see things through the lens of your experiences. You see terrible damage not worth inflicting (on yourself or on your opponent). But just because this happened to you does not mean it's going to happen to everyone else. It's like me popping up on the forum and saying "I once foiled an armed robber with my bare hands and didn't even get scratched! Everybody should do it!" You cannot take specific incidents and generalise them to apply to whole populations, it simply does not work.

Quote:
when I say that you can see from your opponent's eyes what he is going to do, I am not stating it as a fantasy but as an empirically proved fact from the confrontations I had in competitions and in sparring training.
But boxing is not a fight. It's a sport. In boxing, fair enough, perhaps you can, perhaps the range of options are so limited that one can learn what the opponent is going to do, though I suspect it would be more to do with noting general upper body movement than the eyes. In a fight, where there are no rules, his eyes will not tell you if he's going to pull a knife or try and club you with a bottle, if he's going to kick you or grab you, bite you or eye gouge you.

Quote:
Do yo have the impression they are watching each other's hands or their faces?
My personal impressions of watching a fight mean absolutely nothing. I could watch it on two different days and come to two totally different conclusions depending upon what I ate for lunch. Human observations cannot be trusted, we are renowned for being subjective. We see things not as they are, but as we are.