View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #36
Edgecrusher

Dojo: Tampa, FL
United_States
Re: what would you do?

Quote:
David Santana wrote: View Post
I'm very recently appointed as the teacher for one of the classes in my dojo (a mere shodan) . and some of the new students told me that they're not very sure that Aikido really works without too much strength.. what would you do if you were told that?

I'm sure that my Aikido works (thanks to Sensei for teaching me well) so I was thinking of letting them attack me seriously, but I'm also afraid that they'll get hurt and it will become a big trouble for me.
I do not think you should ever refer to yourself as a mere Shodan. You earned that designation with hard work. The best advice is to show them it works with little to no effort. Teaching them a steady fluid like motion is the key. Speed is an after effect, much like strength. I personally prefer someone to commit with me with what they have because, I feel it is more of a realistic situation. I think it is our job to work carefully with new students. Sounds like you have it under control, I also think you should know in advance where they are with their ukemi. I am just a mere Ikkyu, what do I know?