View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #39
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom
Re: Hiroshi Ikeda sensei in the UK - April 20-22, 2012

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote: View Post
I think you have a point Mark, just as a lot of those people who might look at some of the stuffs done and say all well and good....but would it save your ass?

I'd say a lot of people felt better than me at the connectivity stuff., to me anyway..but if it was 'for real' my money would be on my trusty right cross.

Not trying to get into an arguement...its been played out across countless threads on Aikiweb and other forums in the past but I see nothing to be gained in outing those with a different background....and much to be lost if they are offended by perceived criticism of what they and their teachers do. So if you feel your practice is more in line with this stuff than other good for you but lets not be too harsh on others with a background that is perhaps......more 'functional' in approach.

Lets just applaud those that come from a different background for venturing outside of normal parameters and daring to be different. Ikeda himself said it was difficult stuff , just take what you can and next time it will be a little easier.

Sounds good advice to me.

Thanks for the practice by the way.

Cheers

D
Hi Darren,

I applaude all of those venturing outside of their normal parameters (as you know I include myself in this).

I was not intending my comments to be taken as criticism, they were rather, 'observations' in response to Patricks questions. I feel lucky to have had the 'mental' aspect inherent in my practice. However, I am having to learn the 'harder' more pressure side, so from that perspective, I am a relative beginner.

I hope no one takes offence, as none was intended. We are all students of this stuff, and mastery is something that only comes with a great deal of practice.

I thought the whole weekend was really good. I'm sure all who were there will take away a great deal to work on.

Thanks for the practice too, I look forward to the next one,

cheers,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.