View Single Post
Old 10-09-2000, 04:24 AM   #4
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
follow up question

Thanks for both of those replies - I had not considered it so deeply. I would definately agree that both Uke & Nage being able to produce atemis produces an instinctive reaction to atemis and also produces a posture that reduces exposure of the body to atemis (esp. groin).

As a follow up question; both of you consider a reaction of the uke with the intention of over-powering Nage. I generally take a strong grip but without a locked arm when being an Uke. This results in almost any technique being possible. However some Ukes often lock out their arm/wrist (esp. good karatekas) to prevent anything like kote-gaeshi or shiho-nage occuring; and I have often resulted in turning this into a rockyu or ikkyo (tenkan).

Do you think that there should be more resistance from Uke in various ways to adapt each technique to a more realistic response from Uke (which will obviously vary) - or do you think that this could promote stiffness and not represent the real situation anyway because an atemi in the street would be far more distracting than an atemi in the dojo?

[as an interesting aside, a 'natural' reaction to many aikido techniques can be seen by begining Ukes which often takes a skilled Aikidoka to control effectively e.g. Uke trying to turn onto their back from Ikkyo (irimi), trying to turn under a shiho-nage (mirrowing Nages turn), and suffering a painful wrist from kote-gaeshi (depending how much motion you put into the actual throw)]

My view as an Uke is generally to go with all the techniques which Nage gives me (except really pathetic throws) but point out where I knew I could give resistance or where it wasn't working. If the same mistake occurs several times I resist to illustrate my point - I find this avoids Uke/Nage conflict especially when training with higher grades and/or arrogant Nages.