View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #20
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States
Re: What is atemi really for?

Quote:
Ahmad Abas wrote: View Post
If you do it 'right' you'll end up in jail. If you do enough and take his center then all's good... IMHO anyway.
If the choice was jail or the hospital which one would you choose? The sad fact is most Aikidoka have not had enough practice (or practice with enough serious martial intent) to make that choice.

I'll put it this way...Using Atemi effectively means knowing how to deal with a real punch or a take down attempt...There are just as many anecdotes regarding Aikidoka getting their butts kicked as there are about ones who deal with a fight successfully...( I have had personal experience with both)

And look it's all good with me if you know or don't know how to use atemi (Some folks in Aikido do not consider it a Budo or a Martial Art) as most situations do not require life and death resolutions... However... as my old Ranger Platoon Sargent used to say..."Better to have and need not Then to need and not have."

So it's kind of obvious to me what "Atemi is really for"

I personally feel it's important if you know that answer for yourself... and to be both honest and realistic in this regard with your practice."

William Hazen

Last edited by Aikibu : 04-23-2012 at 01:42 PM.