View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 04:49 AM   #19
DH
United_States
Re: Aiki, Iki, Kokyu, Heng-Ha and Aun

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
No he definitely doesn't speak like a training manual. On the other hand, he's very repetitive on certain themes - throwing out constant references to the same basic training concepts. Saying, in a way, that these are the things that got me here.

Yes, I think that you're right and the ties extend much further - the challenge for me, at least, is to get to the Universe without wandering off into Outer Space. That is, to avoid having a profound idea that is mostly a figment of my imagination, with no idea how to actually get there.

In a vast over-generalization, western approaches tend to value the idea, and then work back to the practice, while eastern approaches tend to value the practice, and then work back to the idea.

For Ueshiba, IMO, the deeper practices grew out of his technical training methodology (he says this, at one point) - even though they weren't limited to them (and not just Ueshiba - you see this in many arts). The deeper, intent based training, is a major link between the two, if you ask me.

Just what I'm thinking these days...

Best,

Chris
Spot on Chris. It is also fascinating to see the many solo training regimens, from India to China to Okinawa Karate to Koryu to Daito ryu to Ueshiba...that all stress the same themes. It's truly profound to be allowed to see some of these private training methods that are consistent in their goals for what they were working. But yet.......talk to those doing them.....They have no idea why they are doing them and what they were for.

Intent is everything. It is no small point that they named entire arts mind intent, intent method, intent boxing. However, it would appear at this point that the actual study and use of intent to maintain opposing forces in producing power and aiki, remains out of reach for the vast majority of folks in the arts. All of these things have to be approached methodically and consistently to produce that "Magic" feel we all sought after in the first place. I guess the good news is that it can be done, and it can be had and you no longer have to join a system and sweat it out to hopefully....maybe....someday....get it. Now you can be taught if you know the right places to go.
Dan