View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #235
jackie adams
Re: The Founder's Teaching Ability

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
It is fun! My experiences are very limited so it's hard for me to know the lay of the land, but I'm grateful for all the discussions I've been able to read here. At the very least they serve as good food for thought...they've definately added to my enthusiasm for my own training.
It's interesting to consider that training with Ueshiba (i.e. people with aiki) could "accidentally" develop the same or similar qualities. I wonder to what extent this might have played a role in things.
p.s. And for the record, Dan, I love ya.
Good day everyone, hope everyone is doing well. Spring-time is here and I hope everyone's spirits are up.

Is there a like button? Or at least an emoticon with a thumbs up.

Matt, I know you are addressing your comment to someone else. If I may, I would like to say right on! Chef, your serving up a hearty nutritious food for thought meal. Knowing your comments not directed to me, I would like to share my thoughts you inspired.

Personally, I am not of the teacher-dependent mind-set school. Disagreements may arise from others when I say, I think Aikido today generally is too teacher dependent. Students need to explore, indulge in independent study, discovering things on their own. Micro-management teaching, where every little detail is explained doesn't allow the student to think for themselves. Exploration is a great thing to experience because when you discovery something on your own it is exhilarating, thrilling. You remember it longer, and have greater enthusiasm and motivation.

A teacher's role during a student's exploration is to be a guide. A teacher in this process is best to stimulate the learning process as a guide keeping the student in the right direction. Socratic teaching proven success works beautifully. It has become an old teaching, time tested method and standard. "Socratic teaching it still the most powerful, teaching tactic." It is something people have learned to be accustom to when learning. I could be wrong but I sense a variation is used by Asian martial arts teachers. Spoon-feeding teaching is fine to a point, it is not the only way, and it is proven not to build independent thinking minds, but dependent minds. Great teachers like Socrates didn't have dependent students. Great information on Socratic teaching.http://lonestar.texas.net/~mseifert/crit3.html

Allowing students to explore, they challenge themselves working though a problem to its solution. The rewards are their own. I am cheerleading Matt's comments. Though I don't think when talking about learning that there are no such things as accidents, the result is still enthusiasm. A great value to training and being in the art of Aikido because it also leads to continued motivation.

A common detrimental situation, students and teachers both fall into the trap that the teacher knows everything and does have all the answers.

Thank Matt, and all the readers for allowing me to express my thoughts. Have a wonderful day and wish everyone good health.