View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #234
DH
United_States
Re: The Founder's Teaching Ability

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
It is fun! My experiences are very limited so it's hard for me to know the lay of the land, but I'm grateful for all the discussions I've been able to read here. At the very least they serve as good food for thought...they've definately added to my enthusiasm for my own training.
It's interesting to consider that training with Ueshiba (i.e. people with aiki) could "accidentally" develop the same or similar qualities. I wonder to what extent this might have played a role in things.
p.s. And for the record, Dan, I love ya.
Hi Bud
It is easier today to "discover" the lay of the land than at any time in the past. There are any number of good people teaching publicly, and many times you don't have to join a system in order to learn.

I don't agree with the idea of accidentally developing the IP/or aiki stuff as it defies all logic. That particular body technology is old and it shares too many common characteristics in different arts. How do you explain people going from Sam Chin, and then Toby Threadgill, or what I teach and then going to Bagua and Taiji teachers, or training with Ark or with people who trained with Shirata, and then we hear people stating there is so much in common? How did they all arrive with specific power building technology? How does that work? (Those comparisons are actually happening in real life). There you have China to Japan, and Koryu opposed to gendai, sharing common themes. You have to see past the trappings of the martial art aspect -as the outward expression is so different- to see different cultural roots, different lines within those cultures, coming up with similar ....to exact technology....and...it is teachable.

Now add in the aiki gang from Takeda's line, having modern students who can talk shop with Taiji Masterclass teachers.The fact that this training exists today, is in itself, a compelling argument that this stuff we talk about was preserved, taught and is being taught today. I keep repeating that this is a very good time to be in Budo. Pick a culture, but you have very good chances of going to teachers such as named above, and not only learning how to build a martial body, but also learning entire systems, Koryu, gendai, Chinese, Japanese or otherwise. Those options were not so easily available in the past. Ellis's comments then come to the fore...
There they are staring us in the face, and being shown to us...what are we going to do with it?
Dan