View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #225
jackie adams
Re: The Founder's Teaching Ability

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
Oh, please God. Jackie, you are writing a lot of good, thought provoking stuff - but as soon as the laws of physics are violated, . . .That one's like Ueshiba being asked if he could do ninjutsu and suddenly he teleported to the top of the stairs and when asked to do it again, he berated his students, saying that each time he did it, he took ten years off his life. (I bet he had to practice more than a few times before he got it - if it hadn't been for that damn trick he'd have lived several thousand years!).

As for the film:
1. Stan Pranin first reported publicly that the Takumakai filmed Takeda - as I recall, Takeda didn't even grasp what a film was. He's made numerous inquiries and has found nothing.
2. I heard a rumor that the film - or another one - was owned by the Kodokai. The person who told me the story could not have seen it - but said he had heard a first person account of someone who had. I sent an inquiry to one of the top split-off shihan from the Kodokai and he sent back (true or false) that he'd never heard of such a thing.
3. One reason I doubt that the Takumakai had such a film is if they did, I strongly believe their DR would be different in execution and methodology. One of the leading Takumakai shihan stated in an interview that they and Yoshinkai were doing, essentially, the same thing. (waza different, execution the same).

Best
Ellis Amdur
Mr. Amdur hello, thank you for replying.

Oh no that is not where I was going at all. But, in a way I was. You provide a great example of what I was getting at commenting on personal interpretations and speculations of events and abilities. You are are using my point in a different context. Then there is something else you touched on something again concerning different perspectives and speculation. If a film does exists, I said it would only be part of the picture. You can't feel Takeda's aiki through a film. This may align in thought with yours, a film would change things. People could make limited comparisons giving a better idea of what Takeda defined as aiki. Again that is based on what techniques he is doing in the film, aiki no jutsu vs. aiki.

I personally find it hard to believe Takeda couldn't comprehend what a film was, I don't think he was at all primitive. He did allow people to take pictures of him, thus comprehended that. What he may not have comprehended is the technology, how film was developed, how cameras worked, and why. Which isn't an uncommon form people with technology even today. This falls into what I was saying about the problems that arise from interpretation and speculation that muddy the waters.

Opps.. I accidentally fell again upon the matter of interpretation and speculation. It will be raised that Takeda was illiterate. The assumption made would be he was stupid, and had no clue to penned Japanese language. The matter is than what is defined as illiterate, lacking any or limited formal education or the complete inability to read? He did travel alone all over Japan, he had contact with people, he had to have some command of reading the language over his lifetime. Even if people wrote things out for him. It is unrealistic to think otherwise he had no command of reading, or some ability to write what so ever, especially during the 1900s -1940s Japan.

Thank you for your time in expressing your thoughts. I enjoyed your comments.

Last edited by jackie adams : 04-08-2012 at 11:36 AM.