View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #208
MM
United_States
Re: The Founder's Teaching Ability

Or possibly apples and oranges ...

Do we look at aiki training as similar to being a Jordan? Or to being a world class pianist? How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

I will never be a world class musician in any form. Nor would I ever be Jordan. But, we are talking specialties with what a person *does*, not what a person *is*. There is a major difference in the two.

Aiki training, as espoused by the greats, changes your body. What you do with it ... well, that's your choice. As far as the training goes, you do the correct training, you get better. The more obsessive compulsive you are about the training, the better you get. The more correct your training, the better you get. You can be obs/comp about the incorrect training all you want but it won't get you there.

Personally, I've seen non-martial people start aiki training and get better. I've seen people with long histories of martial arts start aiki training and be at the exact same level as the non-martial people.

We aren't talking about what a person *does*, like play basketball, play violin, throw a football, box, etc. We are talking about what a person *is*. Fundamental difference. Understand that aiki training changes how a person's body/mind/spirit works internally, not how a person utilizes one's body in an external, physical environment.

Course, after aiki training, it does change how a person uses their body in an external, physical environment, but that's a completely separate topic. Aiki training is internal. It is shown and taught, sometimes very detailed, sometimes not. But, no amount of taking ukemi for Ueshiba, Sagawa, Horikawa, etc will get you aiki ... unless you were taught.

And that is where we are now ... did Ueshiba really teach the secret of aiki to anyone? He, Sagawa, and Horkawa went through the training. They knew what to say and do to get others started in aiki training. That, I think, is firmly laid out. There was a reason why Sagawa's father went to Takeda and said, teach me aiki, not jujutsu. The path to aiki training was laid out for them by Takeda. They knew what it took to create others like them.

But, did they? If not, why? Were they capable as teachers? Given history repeats itself, does future represent past? In other words, if there are hundreds learning aiki right now in a long distance training environment and they are getting better, then that means they are not only being taught how to train, but get others started. If that can be done now, why not back then?

Takeda tossed the Japanese training model on its head, why just think he did so in one small manner (uke model). Could he not have also had a very explicit way of training aiki? That was able to be passed along so others could teach it? Didn't he say his training was easy to steal?

It could be as simple as Ueshiba wanting to be a great budo teacher and not wanting anyone else to steal his limelight. So, he left clues here and there but didn't overly teach. Maybe Sagawa liked being the big bad and didn't want competition. Could be lots of reasons why they didn't teach, but their ability to teach aiki? I think they had that. I think the question should be, Why Didn't They Teach?