View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 09:46 PM   #121
observer
United_States
Re: Martial Ineffectiveness

For years I've read the discussions on this forum and I see that you are not at all interested in Morihei Ueshiba's art, but what is left after it, and today is called aikido. And this, in no case is a martial art, and hence the discussion about its effectiveness on the street does not make sense.

The Art of Morihei Ueshiba is ingeniously simple, effective as a martial art, and easy to master. It contains a modest resource (techniques), probably just too simple to meet commercial requirements. It basically boils down to two words. Avoid and kill. It is important to focus on all the selected techniques. Why these and not others of the possible thousands? And we are talking only about twelve (ikkyo, nikyo, sankyo, yonkyo, shiho-nage, kote-gaeshi, irimi-nage, kaiten-nage, ude-kime-nage, juji-nage, koshi-nage and tenchi-nage). They are special. To understand it ask the question - how to achieve a goal if trained reflexes allow us to avoid the attack? Simple. Just make your opponent look up and then bend him down and hit his head on the ground to break the neck. No need at all to unhinge him (!!). These are the assumptions, the limit on the battlefield, and unacceptable in any way on the street.

I added my 2 cents on the adaptation of these dangerous assumptions to self-defense as shown on youtube. Among 12 techniques I focused on the middle of them. I brought the end of all the techniques into one. It let me control the projection by throwing the opponent on his back. By holding the opponent's hand his head is safe. What I proposed is similar to Morihei Ueshiba's approach, no less, he did not take into account the fact that the attacker will have the opportunity to repeat his attack.

My approach is related to the experience as a competitor, coach and referee in Judo. In most cases the competitor during the judo match is classified as stunned after the fall of the 'ippon' despite the fall in training thousands of times. And here I go back to topic trying to express my view on the effectiveness of martial arts on the street. It is not about that, as in sport, to establish your dominance by emaciation, or injury to an opponent. There is only one way to survive - you should intimidate him. Have him come up against the unexpected. Demonstrate your power.