View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 03:21 AM   #54
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Denmark
Re: Weapons in Aikido

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
I guess I should have mentioned I am a long time student of the late Shoji Nishio Shihan and our Aikido does not seem to have some "transferable weapons skills"... its all "weapons skills" and just the way it works... Every Technique is integrated so that it can be expressed with all of the weapons I've mentioned. Our Maai, Hanmi, Atemi,and Irimi are different and reflect the use of these weapons. So when you execute Tai-jutsu you always cut, extend and thrust..."Aikido is the Sword" and Shoji Nishio spent his lifetime expressing this philosophy. he even developed his own form of Iaido which is also fully integrated with his Aikido.

I have been to more than my share of seminars over the last 20+ years and can see the difference in our approach to practice compared to others. I hope it does not sound like I am knocking them. How one decides to practice Aikido is totally cool with me.

So instead of saying "Weapons in Aikido" I would say "Weapons are Aikido"

William Hazen
Hi William,
I donīt think youre knocking others by explaining your style.I think itīs all about how you present yourself and respect others ideas and beliefs
I guess the reason I say "weapons in aikido" in the title of this thread is because some people put less or no emphasis on weapons and I donīt want to start a discussion with a conclusion.. Itīs up to people to decide what they think and what they like and shouldnīt be forced I feel. Othervise there would be no reason to discuss I feel.
Sometimes we get too attached to our own ideas I believe.

Lars