View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #65
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: What makes Aikido unique as a martial art ?

Well for me personally, I'd say I don't really "do" Aikido anymore. Meaning I don't subscribe to anyone master or system per se. I do tend to seek out people that share a common interest or have a particular set of skills that I want to acquire or learn. My journey is my own now.

That said, most of us got our start somewhere. Mine was in DC with Saotome Sensei's dojo. So hence I tend to want to hang with people I've developed friendships with and still aspire to as teachers and people that have something to teach me.

I like Hanna, thought once upon a time that it was special. That kept me away from a lot of things that I could have learned too if I would have been open to other possibilities and paradigms.

I think most of us still do what we do cause that is what we do and that is where we have cultivated relationships etc. So as I said, that makes it special to us. Does not mean it is unique or special or distinctive in someway that cannot be found anywhere else. IMO that kind of myopic thinking can be dangerous.