View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #37
jackie adams
Re: Differences between female & male practitioners

I hear what everyone is saying, and being opened minded and I am not foolish to readily dismiss anyone's opinion. Let's face it, am new to this looking for what is best for the students. I figure from the feedback I get surveying people I know, having a finger on the pulse of society it might be useful to have separated classes because biologically, physically and psychologically there is a difference between the sexes. Having a finger on Aikido's community is also important to me. Factually, there are less women in Aikido. I read though some of the threads here that discuss the low numbers of women participating in Aikido to give me insight as why that occurs. I have read other discussion from the voices of other women in regard to the upside and downside of Aikido for them.

One of the yoga places have only men and women yoga. The local commercial gyms have classes that target men and women separately. There are lots of women only clubs in town, the self defense shooting gun club for women is very popular. There are several successful all women martial arts classes and self defense programs too doing well.

From all that I see a pattern emerging, women and men want different things from their activities and don't necessarily want to mix gender. I would be foolish to over look what these things say about society. After all, I want to give my students an experience they are comfortable in. I don't want women feeling uncomfortable joining my school, especially if they have had a previous bad experience with men. I don't want women feeling as if they will experience a threat of sexual harassment, sexism or insults, and if those injustices happen to occur, they feel powerless with no voice. I certainly don't 't want them to think they will end up being bullied/dominated by men. If a woman feels she can wheel all that testosterone coming off new students or other students. I am not a sensei who is going to restrict a women from men or her power to choose what is best for her.

I guess then it will be depend on the make up of the students. Depending on their personalities and needs,how they feel can allow me to navigate a decision to offer different class for women and men, or not. I am going to separate the ages and have limits on age. There will be kids classes with age limits. Adult classes will exist too. That is a good rule of thumb, a good standard as well.

Thank you everyone for your opinions.

Last edited by jackie adams : 03-16-2012 at 12:34 PM.