View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #72
Chris Evans
United_States
Tongue Re: Zazen necessary for training

Quote:
Chris Evans wrote: View Post
zazen, sitting zen (being mindfully aware while sitting), is not worshiping nor praying. zazen, samadhi, or shikantaza is direct experience, has nothing to do with being devotional. matter of fact, being devotional can evoke a lot of delusions.

zazen is unnecessary to be a fighter, might even detract from physical, weapons, or group-tactics training.

zazen improves awareness and instinctive-wisdom thus a handy practice to be a more enlightened warrior. not the only way, but a way. my way.

in balancing all that i am grateful in life, i'd like to do more zazen, karate, jiu-jitsu, and surfing. so, I watch less T.V. & less on internet.

Osu
these days... more zazen (shikantaza/samadhi), not enough karate, and moving towards less clutter and fewer hobbies.

activities picking up again are gardening, shooting, and hunting preparations and still look forward to resume aikido training... Hopefully, beekeeping, providing home for honeybees do not take up much time.

I did manage to watch all of "Downton Abbey."

I view Zen (Ch'an) Buddhist zazen practice as an indispensable aspect to wiser martial arts (combat prevention or survival) & life training.

Last edited by Chris Evans : 03-14-2012 at 09:56 AM.

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."