View Single Post
Old 10-01-2002, 06:15 AM   #14
G DiPierro
United_States
Quote:
Edward Karaa (Edward) wrote:
an aikido principle was used successfully, but I can't help thinking that it was achieved on the expense of Dan's dignity, and that of aikido's.
Edward, I didn't it see that way at all. How did Dan sacrifice his dignity? His perceived himself as nothing more than a low-level teacher of Aikido and his actions were consistant with that role. Had he been capable of handling the TKD man's attack, then the correct way of handling the situation would have been much different. The "aiki" principle in action here was simply that he correctly perceived his role in the situation and acted accordingly.
Quote:
I disagree fully with the idea of a confrontation, but I wish Dan could have found a less submissive way out of it.
If you disagree with the idea of a confrontation then you shouldn't be doing Aikido. Confrontation is what the martial arts are all about. As I pointed out earlier, submitting seems to have been correct for Dan in this situation. There is nothing wrong with submission when the situation calls for it. If your teacher asks you to sweep the mat, but you are tired and don't feel like it, what do you do? My guess is that you submit and sweep the mat.

Last edited by G DiPierro : 10-01-2002 at 06:17 AM.