View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #75
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Morihei Ueshiba, Budo and Kamae

Quote:
Lee Salzman wrote: View Post
The language by itself is only valuable so long as it points to concepts we can actually agree upon. And if we are agreed upon the concepts, then the language is not worth much, I would go so far as to say it is even worthless or less than worthless. This is especially problematic because terms like spirals or six directions can be very flowery and poetic, so you can attach way too many stupid and unproductive meanings to them that sound similar. So just giving people a new set of words to misinterpret seems sketchy.
I would say that most of the basic concepts are actually agreed upon and have been agreed upon for a long time - just not so much in the general Aikido community.

Even Morihei Ueshiba used and agreed with these basic concepts - as will become clear as we get further along.

My goal right now is mainly to point out the opening and broaden the conversation. There will be more detailed "how to do" publications forthcoming - not from me, but they're in the pipeline.

In the meantime I hope that this will spur people to re-examine some old assumptions and try to get some hands on time with one of the people who are putting these things into practice (Dan Harden, Mike Sigman, Minoru Akuzawa, Sam Chin - there are others, you get the idea).

Best,

Chris

Last edited by Chris Li : 03-08-2012 at 11:10 AM.