View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #201
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: How to be non-competitive in a competitive world

Marc wrote:

Quote:
When I add this stuff into the typical training paradigms, I normally have to do some psych. debriefing to help the person whose issues were set off, properly process what happened so that the person can use the experience as a building block on the way to being able to respond effectively during high stress events/interactions.
Which is why you will never see me teach a weekend self defense seminar to a women's group. o get any real value out of it requires, IMO, a reality check that might put some folks into a psychological mess if you take them from zero to 60 and introduce to them the reality of rape and violence. So, if you simply do the key chain thing and the foot stomp, you send them away with a good feeling, but no better off than when they came into the dojo. Actually you made it worse.

You see, this is the very core of why I have issue with this noncompetive mind stuff. Please someone tell me how this would benefit someone that is being violently assaulted? They need to recognize that they are in a competition for their life. It is real and they better have a strong ego if they want to live.

It briefs well to talk about remaining calm under pressure, and there is value to this, but in reality when u are losing and fighting for your life, you will not be calm, you are competing, and you need to be emotionally charged and alive to fight for your life. It is the default physical skills that matter under stress.

Now if their is no stress and you are in control, then by all means go to your calm happy place, but you must take that guy serious and realize that you are still competing.

Like I said, in budo, we have enough to do getting our heads screwed on straight to deal with conflict than to start muddying the waters with feeling good about ourselves.

In the end if you are ever in a real violent situation, you must do things that you don't like, that will make you feel ugly and dirty. You will be an emotional wreck afterwards until sometime passes. However, if you train and prepare yourself ahead of time, you can make the best choices you can make, and minimize the PTSD issues you experience, and yes, everyone gets some sort of PTSD, it is how you manage it that determine how it affects you in the long run.

Now hopefully most of us will never experience what I am describing, but that should not mean we cannot train properly and still realize the benefits of training for conflicts that are not phsycial violent encounters.

Last edited by akiy : 03-05-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags