View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #117
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: How to be non-competitive in a competitive world

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Graham, thanks for answering my questions. I do appreciate and respect you for that.

I think this sums up our differences, and really based on this paragraph alone, tells me that you and I are on two different planes.

Aikido for me is physical and real as is any form of budo. The intent and courage to cause harm must be present and real if necessary. For me, it is important to be able, at least mentally to be able to stand up and STOP violence. The more skill we have, the more we can influence the outcome in a more skillfull way to include non-violent ways.

If the practice ignores this aspect and is simply an allegory for what I consider to be a bastardization of philosophy and a revisionistic practice that dismissing the importance of the physical, then you are no longer practicing budo, martial art, or aikido, but something else.

Again, I have no issue with your intentions for peace, I think we'd share the same vision and endstate, but to me, what you are practicing has nothing to do with martial arts or budo. Budo has a very specific focus in its application. It is really a shame IMO that it goes misunderstood.

So, I think at this point, I have beat this to death and there really is nothing more I can say on the subject as it is very apparent to me that we are practicing two entirely separate things.

Thanks for the discussion and debate Graham.
A pleasure doing business with you Sir. In response may I end off too with my alternative way.

Aikido for me spiritual and real as in any form of sen no budo. The intent and purpose and courage to do without harm and in fact improve the others disposition is the aim and must be present at all times. For me it is thus important to be able to stand up mentally and spiritually to stop violence which these spiritual principles do. The more we know them and practice them the more ways of ending violence we see and can put into effect.

I have no argument with your intentions towards peace. The old ways of budo did just as you say. Just as O'Sensei said too.

At which point I too have no need to carry on this discussion but thank you too for it.

Peace. G.