View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #37
Alberto_Italiano
Re: Is there enough practice for 'real life' in Aikido?

Quote:
Edward Sudall wrote: View Post
Thanks it is good to be here, very interesting especially the linguistic aspect: so much vocab!
Yes, that summises it really well for me. I think Aikido would be effective in such a scenario but only after much more practise and mastery than another martial art; the impression I have anyway. That is the beauty of it, I would like to train for such an instance, rarther than just in the dojo or dimensions of 'average' Aikido training. The merger of martial arts that went into its creation is the appeal and it is in the nature of the art to be pacifistic. The defence techniques apply to the person not the art, I would like to train for as many of the techniques as possible not just ones I would normally use in the dojo. As cliche as it can sound I would like as close to the O'sensei training which was less defined than a set syllabus of training.
Edward, unfortunately you express a point of view that, although represented by a minority, is one of the most common raised in Aikido.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, in Aikido that would prevent you from applying Aikido techniques in any setting of choice: the only thing that works against this, are Aikido dojos - not Aikido in itself.

Most dojos are not even prepared to admit that your type of request is less unfrequent than one may think, and certainly they are not ready to admit that they are not equipped to meet your necessity.

It is not clear, or however it is open to speculation, why most dojos are not inclined to let you practice in the way you outline here - arguably, since Aikido dojos want to maximize participation, this mere option already works against martiality.
It is true that any martial arts dojo wants to maximize participation - however the fact that aikido is not competitive (or at least that the vast majority of dojos do not practice a competitive aikido and hold no competitions) is what is responsible for its by now generalized trend of counter-martiality. And this is where one of the major differences with other martial arts comes squarely to the foreground: if you don't hold competitions, you have no incentive to produce martial victory (the highly speculative tendency to say that Aikido should not bear in mind concepts like "victory", or that "victory" may be interpreted in a whole array of speculative fashions, is just a coverup to conceal the nature of the true answer: Aikidokas are scared of aggressive ukes because normally dojos do not train you to face them), and if you don't have a victory in a martial contest as your goal, you will never see attacks determined to gain the upper hand. Seeing never such attacks, you will never be prepared to cope with them.

That's a long answer for a shorter one: find like minded folks, and train with them.