View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 03:30 AM   #13
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: goals

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote: View Post
...continuing to pour energy into his attack ...
Thank you! According to my experience this names a crucial point.

I don't know what you understand as to continually pour energy into the attack. But it is a formula well known to me. I was taught this also years ago and I know a number of teachers who use this formula to describe good uke behaviour.

But in my context now and in the way I understand it, it describes a way of uke behavior I try to avoid. Because continually pouring energy into the attack leads to an aritificial behaviour of an attacker, that can only be found in aikidō as far as I see. Practicing with jūdōka or karateka immediatly shows the difference.

If the attack is over, it is over. Maybe a next one may follow. But a strike is simply a strike. A punch is simply a punch. And a grip is not made to pour out energy, but ot controll and fix uke. (Maybe by using energy but that's something different.)
We clearly learn, that yokomen uchi does not cut through like kesa giri, but ends at the head (level). Same with shomen uchi. Both attacks have a clear endpoint. We practice suburi (tai jutsu) very often.
If tori succeeds to connect to uke and take over everything is fine. But then uke doesn't have to worry what to do: He "is done" by tori. He does not need to care about pouring energy.

I don't know whether what you mean by "continuing to pour energy into his attack" is identicall with what is understood and practiced here by teachers who say so. I believe it is the same, because it makes great sense if aikidō is understood in a certain way. One part of this is understanding aiki mainly as blending with the outward movements of a partner. So to be able to do aiki you simply have to have such movement or at least the intention (>pouring out energy) of the partner.

So if I am right your formula again describes a clear difference between my pardigm of understanding the essence of the technical work of aikidō and yours/Marys.

In my context I know from experience that this is not only about words and phrases but leads to different ways of practice. When I began to see things different - and stopped to continually pour energy into my attack - my aikidō changed. I had to learn a lot of things completely new.