View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
DH
United_States
Re: Kiichi Hogen and the Secret of Aikido

Quote:
Matt Fisher wrote: View Post
Thanks to Chris for a VERY thought provoking blog entry...

I just wanted to point out that John Stevens's book Budo Secrets contains text from Ki-ichi Hogen. The selection in Stevens's book is longer (in English) than what Chris included in his blog, but I don't know how different the two texts are in Japanese. In his very short intro to this section, Stevens writes that "These teachings have been widely employed by martial arts instructors over the centuries and are still in use. Morihei Ueshiba, the founder of Aikido, often quoted from this list when teaching and demonstrating Aikido techniques, and so did my Aikido teacher Rinjiro Shirata."

Matt Fisher
Allegheny Aikido
Pittsburgh, PA
I know what it means, why it is practical and how to do it...as well as how to fail in just trying to mimic it.
I have seen a few Japanese Aikido Shihan display it and never tell anyone what they were doing or how they could do it too. I both explain and teach it at every seminar.

It is yet again another example of what the vast majority in Aikido do not know about the teachings of their founder and what they thought was spiritual, turns out to be foundational and incredibly practical-with weapons and without.
Dan