View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
NekVTAikido
United_States
Re: A hodgepodge system, in an information age.

Before we ask "how to survive", ask "why survive?". Do we offer something unique and relevant tithe world? I think we do: aikido forms can be a way for a human being to experience a particular kInd of confidence, to be able to embody that in a physical way; and that confidence can help individuals in addressing the many issues that our society must face. People who know confidence can better lead and inspire it in others. We don't need to survive because the world needs more accomplished in the physical art that Uesiba family has given us; we need to survive because the world needs more genuine Budoka - warriors who are willing to put themselves on the line to protect the best that their society has to offer. The techniques we learn on the mat are only relevant in that they help us discover and remind us of a state of mind (state of being) that we can bring to bear on the real "battle fields" that we all must face in a world that is increasingly overpopulated and overheated.

(Ok, I see this should probably be a different thread - and I'm typing it on the wrong device to do it justice. I'll come back when I have a real keyboard)