View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 05:10 AM   #22
Alic
Dojo: Sokushinkan Dojo, Vancouver
Canada
Re: Integrity in our Aikido Community

I think with things like this, there's usually only one way to know for sure...

This calls for a duel!

Basically, we're martial artists. In both ancient times and recent times, whenever someone makes a claim regarding their skills, it has always resulted in being tested by other martial artists. Ueshiba sensei and his top students all had to deal with challengers when they were setting up their dojos, and they all performed admirably. I see no reason why it should be any different today.

We, as martial artists, need to do two things right: one, we must be humble, so as to enable learning, and two, we must be skeptical, and test all claims to ascertain its validity.

Post videos, invite folks over, accept challenges... whatever. Do something to prove yourself in the eys of your peers, or you won't be taken seriously.

Not only that, by proving yourself you can both gain valuable experiences and learn more about your strengths and weaknesses, and at the same time, you may gain support as a result of your potential victories.

I know that Aikido is the budo of peace and harmony, but if we never accept our challengers and never challenge each other, we'll never be able to ensure a high quality within the Aikido community and won't be taken seriously by the rest of the martial arts world as a school.