I started in the Aikikai testing tradition with specific techniques and such.
In the IAA we do:
Minimum 1 year assistantship under Chief Instructor
1. Demonstrate 5 different defenses against any attacks selected by the examiner (usually 6 or 7 different attacks)
2. Must know all the names of the basic Aiki
Taiso and Aikido Arts.
3. Must be able to execute any leads from
any basic arts as examiner may specify
4. Must have the ability to instruct the basic
5. Jo-nage (throwing with jo).
6. Tanto tori (disarming knife attack).
7. Jo Jiyuwaza
8. Must be able to execute any jogi or kengi.
9. Defenses against kicks, ground defenses.
10. Yonin-gakari (4 person randori).