Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States
Re: Investment

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Dan:

You have some great "gifts":

1) precise, analytical mind.
2) willingness to go at something with 150% of available resources.
3) ability to articulate through face-to-face interactions, highly complex & subtle processes.
4) great body sensitivity.
5) Great teaching method.
6) highly evolved body skills.

It is a shame that people tend to get lost in the frankness of your message on the internet. It is easy to misconstrue what you sometimes say as insulting to other people's teachers and to other people as well. Frankness is not considered an asset in a politically correct society. People who have met you have gotten to know the person behind the words and most become friendly with you and want to continue to learn from you because you have something worthwhile to offer and you are very kind in sharing as much as you can with people. The increasing frequency to which you are requested to teach seminars and instruct high ranking Aikidoka should be clear feedback that more and more people recognize that your greater worth goes beyond your posts on this thread.

Thanks for continuing to dedicate as much time and resources as you do to our community.

In friendship,

Marc Abrams
Well said Marc - however, you left out he is such a handsome guy! (OK, maybe not, but I threw that out anyway to make him feel better )

Concerning investment: I do not think there is anyone that has invested more of themselves into the pursuit of aiki than Dan - we can only hope to emulate that same level of personal commitment - it has certainly paid off for him.

Concerning written communication and online personalities: well, yes, he can be extremely frank at times, but he is not malicious nor intentionally demeaning; he just calls it as he sees it. IMO, this is refreshing at times because you know exactly where you stand with him and his views - no sugar coating here; and it is honest. I understand that it is difficult for the true individual to come accross in correspondence. Recently, it has been brought to my attention that a lot of folks complained that my stuff was coming across as extremely authoritative. Well, that certainly is not my intent - the only excuse I can make it that I am ex-military and an ex-government employee where most of my correspondence from then was directive and authoritative in nature - I guess old writing styles are hard to change. Anyway, based on this feedback, I am trying to throw in as many IMO and IME as I can; because that is really where I am coming from. Truth be known, next to Phi, I am probably the most warped goofball hanging around aikiweb; just ask anyone that really knows me Point is, Dan is not really what he comes across as either in some of his posts - you just need to understand that.

Concerning the politically correct point: IMO, and IME, that term has to be the ultimate oxymoron - there is absolutely nothing correct in anything political - as you can see, there is no smiley face here and this is one of my rare serious moments - IMO, politics is a disease that is destined to doom society as we all know it.

Greg