Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom
Re: Investment

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Dan:

You have some great "gifts":

1) precise, analytical mind.
2) willingness to go at something with 150% of available resources.
3) ability to articulate through face-to-face interactions, highly complex & subtle processes.
4) great body sensitivity.
5) Great teaching method.
6) highly evolved body skills.

It is a shame that people tend to get lost in the frankness of your message on the internet. It is easy to misconstrue what you sometimes say as insulting to other people's teachers and to other people as well. Frankness is not considered an asset in a politically correct society. People who have met you have gotten to know the person behind the words and most become friendly with you and want to continue to learn from you because you have something worthwhile to offer and you are very kind in sharing as much as you can with people. The increasing frequency to which you are requested to teach seminars and instruct high ranking Aikidoka should be clear feedback that more and more people recognize that your greater worth goes beyond your posts on this thread.

Thanks for continuing to dedicate as much time and resources as you do to our community.

In friendship,

Marc Abrams
Dan,

+1, I think is the modern etiquette?

Which is a lazy way of saying I couldn't put it better myself!

I don't always agree with everything you say about aikido and its practitioners, but if I didn't think that you have a handle on the truth, I wouldn't be looking forward so much to your next visit to these sceptred isles.

Your skill is in having a decent/proper method, which you so rightly point out may be lacking in the asian model. Us westerners want description and discussion as well as teacher show, student do, over and over and one day you might get it.

My own teacher has spent most of his life moving away from the limited japanese teaching method, to the point that we only retain Japanese for the names of the techniques (but in essence, there is no real need for that is there), for everything else we use english.

Keep up the good work, there are plenty of people wanting what you can offer. Personally my own practice and teaching is moving towards the heart of what you do. I will continue to teach what I learn and embody into myself. That is all we can do. We do as teachers though, have a duty to ourselves and to our students, to be as good as we can be. And if that means confronting our own limitations, which could easily be so, because of our own investment in a limited model, then so be it. If someone has something that can help raise your own level of skill and understanding, then why not seek it out and 'steal' it.

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.