Old 01-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #317
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: "The goal is not to throw"

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Hi Mat
You had discussed mutual practice as if it were something between all aikido people in the midst of a discussion between Graham and I.
You then quote my reply I wrote to Graham and assigned it to a completely different discussion I was having with the two Gregs.
Huh?
I'll make this my last post on this vein of the topic so I don't muddle it up any further (sorry), but I commented on David Orange's remarks to Graham about using different terms; Graham said he liked the idea of mutual interest in "cooperative training;" and then you commented on his remarks that there is "no mutual...etc." I missed the context of your comments to Graham, sorry about that.

Quote:
I contend the following- hopefully for the last time
a. If you show up on an international forum and say you know what Ueshiba was doing and talking about-b. you damn well should get called on it.
c. You should be able to define it, discuss it and do it.
d. If you've got nothing to back it up...that's your problem and not the community who calls you on your rhetoric.
e. Being called on it is good for the community and good for you.
I hope that was clear.

And hats off to Graham that even with being challenged on these things, he keeps it in perspective and doesn't take challenges to his knowledge and skills as a personal challenge to him as a person. We could all take a lesson from him in how to respond. I can't tell you how many times I have read a reply from him-where I was contending with him..and even though I totally disagreed, I sat there and said..."Good Job man!!!"
I absolutely agree! Nicely put!
Captain Myopia signing out.
(Thank you, Dan, and everyone else!)

Gambarimashyo!