View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #307
DH
United_States
Re: "The goal is not to throw"

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Just a little comment about cooperative training. Even with resistance, no type of training can teach you how to deal with real anger in a real attack; this is the part that collapses most people regardless of their level of expertise and years of training in the dojo - only when you experience real hostilities will you know whether you are a fight or flee type of person - those of the fight type will subconsciously respond with those skills that have been conditioned in them by their training, and those of the flee type will be useless regardless of how much training they have had.

I am not saying you need to go out and get in a fight, but until you do encounter a real attack, you will never know which type you are - it is just the way it is and people need to be honest with themselves so they don't put themselves in a situation expecting their non-realistic attack training to serve them well in a real hostile situation - it may or may not work out the way you think.

Personally, and I may be wrong here, but I believe the majority of those that focus on the love and spiritual aspects of Aikido, just won't have the emotional make up to deal with the anger and will find themselves in the 'flee' group - as I said, just my opinion, and of course there could be exceptions.

Greg
I would agree with all of the above with the caveate that the training can be gradual in a dojo setting to continually amp up the attacks offered (be adequately training people how to attack) while training adequate responses. I have lost track of the men who have cried in my dojo out of shear frustration at being continualy beaten and not being capable of issuing an adequate response with weapons and without until they reached a point where they could.
Ultimately I still think that you need to get out and go to places outside of your school. MMA schools are a good choice.
Most people in the martial arts have no real concept or preparedness for both serious and experienced violence. And there is little to nothing I have seen in the martial arts to prepare people for it.

Quote:
I am not saying you need to go out and get in a fight,
I...am...saying you need to get in a fight...repeatedly, or as close to it as you can get. And at the VERY least train tih someone who has. They can impart some vaualbel lessons about what is real and what is fantasy, and deal with higher percentage responses.

a. You will find most of the locks and throws you know won't work on someone who knows how to fight well.
b. a lost of your jujutsu doesn't work well when someone who knows what they are dong is kicking and punching the crap out of you. Case in point: you learn to judiciously approach someone and be mindful that when you are using your two hands to do something; lock, choke, grab to throw...their hands and feet are free to do a lot of damage to your person!
c. Every time you move to throw them- they are moving to set you up by pummeling you, throwing you and mounting you or just maybe knocking you out cold while you are standing there trying your schtick on them AND THEY DO NOT LOSE OR GIVE UP THEIR CENTER IN DOING ANY OF THE ABOVE.

Then of course you can go into LEO and military work with mostly untrained people. I had a guy on the internet going on and on about Martial artists not understanding real force on force (he was a cop). I told him just imagine the case you are making here.
You are openly telling all of us, the trouble you are having handling domestics and punks. And WE...don't get it. Now imagine handling people trained to take you apart.
I've trained a dozen cops in my life and the most stress they have EVER gotten in their lives was in our MMA school back in the 90's.
Dan