View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #23
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi
Re: What He learned from his near mugging

I remember enjoying Karl Geis sensei's "Book of Twelve Winds" many years ago (and as a result looked him up when in Houston quite a few years ago, and had a great practice).

Anyway, as I recall (forgive paraphrasing - and anyone with book to hand feel free to correct) he tells the story of being stopped and grabbed by a policeman who was overly aggressive and started to try and shake him. By centering himself he made it very difficult for the guy, who pretty quickly stopped as he was getting tired. Karl wanted to report the guy, but on talking it over with some of his students who were also policemen, was persuaded otherwise. Some months later he read that the guy had been overly aggressive to someone else who had grabbed his pistol and shot him (and possibly others I can't remember). Karl regretted not at least reporting the guy - he was an "accident waiting to happen" and as a policeman should not have been allowed to work out his private issues on the public.

It's a hard sort of situation to handle well - particularly if it comes on you unawares. The only way I can imagine having the presence of mind to do the right thing in any such situation, is if I have pre thought through the ramifications etc. I can think of people on the mat who have been overly aggressive, if not downright dangerous, and while I survived without serious injury, I let them carry on - didn't make any form of stand, or highlight that they were totally out of order. If you start throwing in higher ranking people, awkward situations - it get's a lot more complicated.

Food for thought...