View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 06:18 AM   #56
sorokod
United Kingdom
Re: bokken suburi questions

Quote:
Alex Megann wrote: View Post
As I understand it, Inaba was the original source of the KSR influence on aikido, although I think Noguchi Sensei also studied at the KSR (and was one of Sekiya Sensei's teachers). He spent some time studying with Kunii, the then head of KSR, although the KSR these days tend to claim that Inaba missed the point and didn't really understand what he had learnt from Kunii. It would be interesting to speculate how much of the KSR Yamaguchi picked up from Inaba, and how much he worked out for himself...
The view from Kashima : http://www.e-budo.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-3673. Karl Friday has a menkyo kaiden with Kashima Shinryu. I find this quite reasonable:

Quote:
If one tries to teach Aikido and KSR techniques at the same time one will NOT (cannot) perform the KSR techniques correctly (in so far as "correctness" is defined by members of KSR). The sword techniques and kata taught might share some similarities to KSR, but the key elements (i.e., the very elements that give KSR its unique identity) will either be corrupted or missing altogether. At that point, they no longer are KSR techniques.
Off course, the "correctness" is defined by members of Aikido is much more fluid

Last edited by sorokod : 01-20-2012 at 06:23 AM.