View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #97
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: Why don't we practice chokes?

Quote:
Chuck Clark wrote: View Post
Hi Peter, it's good to see a post from you. I agree with what you wrote. In the case of shimewaza, when it's done correctly, the effect is there, and when maitta is given, the pressure should be released instantly. I've never seen any damage done when the waza is done correctly. Judoka using the standard shimewaza using the lapels or sleeves of the keikogi in shiai sometimes leave a gi burn, etc. But these are not the type of waza I'm really writing about. I have used these "soft, wiggly" shimewaza in shiai, especially when I weighed 175 pounds and was in the open weight class. I used to really like the big guys that thought overwhelming strength was the thing that determined the outcome. To be honest, it really is strength; however, it's minimum strength working along with the strength of the other person that gets the job done. :- )
I don't know if you remember my trials and tribulation posts when I went for the Judo Shodan but in that particular competition it was all non-gi chokes and ground work. Not at all what you would expect from a aikido guy but hey it worked. Chokes are fascinating and getting into a position where they can be applied against someone who knows whats coming and does not want to get there is a study in itself. Did I mention I love chokes.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido