View Single Post
Old 09-24-2002, 01:38 AM   #35
Tadhg Bird

Dojo: New School Aikido, Stockton, CA
United_States
Quote:
Giancarlo DiPierro (G DiPierro) wrote:
As to the subject of rank being such a big deal, I personally believe that this is precisely the reason why it takes so long to receive shodan in this country compared to Japan. I have read the theories about the Japanese prefering that they have higher ranks than Westerners, and there may be some truth to them, but I can't help thinking that if Americans did not generally think that wearing a black belt means so much that it would not take so long to receive the rank usually required to wear one in Aikido.
I had it related to me that the quality of an American shodan is usually better than that of hir Japanese counterpart. The theory being that a Shodan ranking is so much more a BIG DEAL to the American that they equate it with excellence par none, where the Japanese see the aquisition of a dan rank as a routine starting point. After all, you can get a dan ranking in sake drinking, so what's the big deal? As the legend was told to me, I guess that however the Japanese Nidan, Sandan, Yondan ... is considered better quality than thier American counterparts.

All things being relative, YMMV.

Smooth Roads,

tadhg

"Words and letters can never adequately describe Aikido -- its meaning is revealed only to those who are enlightened through hard training." -- Ueshiba Morihei O Sensei
--

http://www.AikidoStuff.com