View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #1725
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
..... All arts evolved within a certain historical / social climate. They took things like the available technology into account, they directly reflected things like social position etc. When times in a society changed, so did the martial arts. Aikido is a perfect example of a martial art which resulted from a whole series of very drastic and very rapid social change ..... The art "evolved"... adapted to a new environment. The intentions off the Founder for his art are really unique. No one I know of talked about his art the way the Founder talked about Aikido. Too much focus on the practical application of technique leads folks to miss some of the essential questions.
Loved your post, George, and agreed with all of it. I only snipped it for length.

The only thing is I'm not interested in "devloving" Aikido as drawing on it. But I completely agree with the idea that a lot of things work as weapons retention based on my own experimentation with double dagger: Morote dori makes no sense empty hand but does if nage has a weapon, but then the intent of the technique changes (when there's another knife in the free hand, obviously). Although obviously, your cops figured that. Call it a book worm quibbling with someone in the lab.

Again, great post.

"I am not a big fat panda. I am the big fat panda." --Po, Kung Fu Panda