View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States
Re: Rethinking the meaning of various phrases in light of "aiki"

Quote:
O Sensei: It only seems to be mystical. In Aikido we utilize the power of the opponent completely. So the more power the opponent uses, the easier it is for you.

B: Then, in that sense, there is Aiki in Judo, too, since in Judo you synchronize yourself with the rhythm of your opponent. If he pulls, you push; if he pushes, you pull. You move him according to this principle and make him lose his balance and then apply your technique.

O Sensei: In Aikido, there is absolutely no attack. To attack means that the spirit has already lost. We adhere to the principle of absolute nonresistance, that is to say, we do not oppose the attacker. Thus, there is no opponent in Aikido. The victory in Aikido is masakatsu and agatsu; since you win over everything in accordance with the mission of heaven, you possess absolute strength.

B: Does that mean ~o no sen? (This term refers to a late response to an attack.)

O Sensei: Absolutely not. It is not a question of either sensen no sen or sen no sen. If I were to try to verbalize it I would say that you control your opponent without trying to control him. That is, the state of continuous victory. There isn't any question of winning over or losing to an opponent. In this sense, there is no opponent in Aikido. Even if you have an opponent, he becomes a part of you, a partner you control only.
This whole section from the other thread reminded me very strongly of the IS stuff, but I was staying out of trouble so I didn't say so there.

No attack; "win over everything in accordance with the mission of heaven"--harmonize aiki in yourself first; then when you meet the attack you meet it without resistance or opposition because then you would no longer be harmonized with yourself. We practice exactly this.

You are in a state of continuous victory because your own centered body continually controls yourself and uke. You don't have to fight him because you're controlling him. I have to work at it to come up with different words than O-Sensei already used.