View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #154
DH
United_States
Re: "stance of heaven (and earth)" and IS

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
.... Some might take that to mean we get out of the way, we don't impede uke, but since starting on this type of training I've seen how I can remain stationary, not move out of the way or get off the line and let you collide with me, yet still maintain "absolute non-resistance" with the forces you are sending at me.
... I'm standing on that damned floating bridge... and I don't plan on getting off it any time soon.
Typically a very disconcerting feeling for an uke...even more so with someone boxing you or trying to shoot you. They don't know where their power went, or why it...wait for it....echo's back at them. And forget trying to explain it to them...their heads go on tilt. One well known shihan and BJJ'er tried throwing my ass all over the place, then blindsiding me with a right cross... Later he told people "I couldn't do anything to him...He tried explaining it to me, but I didn't have clue what he was talking about." And yet I didn't use a single waza. And for our Mr. Mcgrew....guess what? I did not stand still.
There is a reason Takeda, Sagawa, Ueshiba, Kodo, hisa etc... were so obsessed with this training and didn't give crap about waza. There is simply nothing better. Anywhere. There is a reason it takes over dojos and people get obsssed...a damn good reason.

"The way of the mountain echo is intent, standing in the center of the connection between the ki of heaven and the ki of the earth"...Morihei Ueshiba
Once again an Asian classic that the post war guys self-admittedly couldn't wait for him to stop talking about so they could do more wrist twisties.

But....here he we have Mr. McGrew not being able to define it...and yet telling us, aikido went by it and is more than things like this. Things he knows nothing about. Strange logic indeed.
Dan