View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #150
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: "stance of heaven (and earth)" and IS

Quote:
Ken McGrew wrote: View Post
There are a group of people who are superior martial artists because they know the secret of Aiki in Aikido. They know that they know the secret because they know that they do.

They see O Sensei and they see him demonstrating the secret. In fact, they seem to believe that this secret is the only important thing that he was showing or even the only thing that he was showing. The rest of us can look at O Sensei performing the unmovable feats that they believe are proof of him doing what they are doing and we see him doing different things. I don't see the secret of in yo ho body body conditioning and neutralization. I see a combination of grounding, ki extension, and disrupting Ukes connection to the ground. The fact that I see other explanations is proof that I am an inferior martial artist who doesn't see the secret. Pretty much the entire Aikido world is inferior according to their way of looking at things.

We can't discuss what various teachers themselves said, or what O Sensei said, only what people in the IS camp say they said... even when we have them on film. Failure to conform to this rule results in endless personal attacks. Convenient.

Jun, can we have a non-IS section on Aikiweb?

This discussion has IS in the title so of course IS people are free to post in it. If they don't want any other perspectives discussed then they could start a sort of private discussion with parameters that only IS perspectives are welcome. Fine with me.
Ken:

I was not personally attacking you and I am sorry that you read it this way. I was simply trying to encourage you to move in a direction that will lead to more fruitful conversations. Frankly speaking, there is nothing wrong with people have superior understandings of things in comparison to ourselves. Your entire rant is distorted. Before you decide for yourself that what you think is correct, EXPERIENCE the other positions first. If somebody does not agree with your position and or provides you with information that contradicts your position, it does not mean that it is a personal attack on you. Separating your ideas and beliefs from your ego is a healthy practice that I would highly recommend that you adopt. You will feel better about expressing your ideas and beliefs while making it easier for you to make corrections and additions to what you hold to be true. YOU are the one who talks about wanting to discuss ideas from various positions and yet you are the one who is most attacking to others who challenge your position. A famous family therapist had rules that he thought all therapists should adhere to. One of the most important to him was to cherish your impotence, because it is your most powerful tool for change. Being inferior is a gift you should learn to cherish.

Marc Abrams