View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #88
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: Principles of pinning

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote: View Post
I guess the Aikido moves were developed to actually break the arm not hold someone down. In combat on the battlefield you would have no reason to try and hold someone or you would be killed by someone else. Like I said the Aikido pins are probably effective on most people, but they probably will not hold an experienced grappler for very long.
Agreed. However, if you look at the practice of DR they really did take the whole arm breaking to another level. Think about what these guys were looking to do. Minimal investment for maximum gain. So As Marc and a few others have stated well...and you are also saying...the pin is a transitory state until you do something else. Grab a weapon, wait for a buddy, or disarm you opponent. Really a few seconds IMO.

Of course, Aikido, based on DR, essentially co-opted martial process in order to convey the message and explore force continuum to show some very specific things which while important to reality...get lost in translation to the masses.

I have no problems really with my "aikido" pins. That does not mean you cannot struggle or get out...but I do manage to stay ahead of nage's OODA process and dominate my nage so I don't really care if nage "believes" he is pinned or not...I adjust.

Looking at your comments earlier about getting out of aikido pins. I pride myself on doing that. I LOVE being taken down in an ikkyo, pinned and then "hipping" out of it to the guard and rolling you to mount. If Nage is NOT doing things right...AND his level of investment is too great and not appropriate or balanced...I am taking you for a ride by feeding off your input.

I know the ground rules have been set of the IS discussion. I don't want to go there, but to be honest, If I am doing things correctly with correct principles I am able to be there and control nage and not create a feedback loop that he can figure out...AND I can constantly adjust to what he is doing and keep him there.

For me as a military guy, this is very important. I want to be able to control someone effectively without having to invest so much in the way of physical position, weight, or pain. It is why I continue to seek out a better understanding of aiki.