View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States
Re: Terry Dobson's Training History

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
There is less "lying" going on that some might assume. Subjective truth is where one places one's mind. I have dreamt about one of my teachers at least three times a week for the last 23 years since I've left Japan. I get lessons from him, arguments, criticism and approval. Sometimes I practice with him, and sometimes I'm in combat with him. I've actually seen him one time in that time period. As far as I'm concerned, I have 36 years of direct instruction from him.Everything I've learned since is filtered through that lens, of how he'd react, if what I'm doing is stronger that what he taught, or a fundamental deviation, which would be a betrayal

This last account may read strange to some of you. But that's because you are not uchi-deshi.

Ellis Amdur
it's an asian attitude, methink. there is a saying in asia that translated to something along the line: teacher for a day, father for life. i believed that the word shifu meant in chinese.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org