View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
Ellis Amdur
Re: Terry Dobson's Training History

Demetrio - I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. Let me address both options.

1. From one perspective, in many ways, a classic Japanese one, that is true. The quality of one's actions are determined by their heartfelt nature - or not. One of the most dismissive comments the teacher I referred to above could make about someone was, "he has no ideology." Another way of putting that is, "he has nothing he considers worth dying for." That's classic bushi ethics, and whether aikido is or is not, technically, a bushi-derived/associated martial training, that ethos is certainly held by some people - particularly Japanese - who practiced aikido post-war - and perhaps to this day.

That said, I was not talking about a "belief." I was talking about an experience. Terry was Ueshiba Morihei's student - unambiguously. Not just because he wished it so - that was the nature of his relationship - and, I think, many, if not all of the uchi-deshi. (I'm not speaking for them - I'm observing, as best as I can). Not all - to be sure - because a number of them split with Tohei when he left. They considered themselves primarily Tohei's deshi, and from what I've read, that was true for some who stayed, who were torn - because as far as their experience went, they viewed themselves as primarily Tohei's student, but 'structurally,' they felt required to stay within the Ueshiba family's aegis
I won't go into what was a long story, but Kuroiwa Yoshio, at one point in the 1950's, decided to leave the Aikikai and make common cause with the Yoshinkan, because of a dispute he was having with Tohei Koichi. Osawa sensei and Doshu (Kisshomaru) took him out for coffee and Kuroiwa remembers Osawa remonstrating with him, saying, "Since when did this become Tohei's aikido. Aikido is Osensei's" - that's why he stayed.
2. If you ARE being sarcastic, then you've missed the point of what I wrote entirely.

Ellis Amdur