View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #75
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: Principles of pinning

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if you are right. But let assume you are right for a second. Only experienced fighter will recognize the capacity of Nage in such situation. 99.99% the rest of attackers will fight back continuously blinded by rage. So what, you will incapacitate them without mercy? This is a kind of message you will send to the world after 30 years of aikido practice?
Szczepan:

First off, my idea of a fair fight is that I go home safe. What happens to you does not really enter into my concern. I have a right and an obligation to preserve my peace and my ability to share that peaceful space with my friends and loved-ones. I will do whatever is necessary to see to it that that can happen. One of the real drivers moving me toward taking Aikido was that I was a nice guy (at least some people thought so ) until someone tried to pick a fight with me. I would then flip the proverbial switch and would become a dangerous lunatic that had to be pulled off of someone more than once. I looked toward Aikido as a way of developing alternative response sets. Interestingly enough, the only times that things happened after I started Aikido, ended with me walking away with the other person not being hurt, yet knowing he escaped from me really putting a hurting on. From that perspective, the message of my budo is something that I can live with. I am a more settled, happier person, living in a more peaceful world around me. That is reason enough to continue on that path. That being said, I maintain the ability and preserve the right to do whatever is necessary to live my life in peace.

I am not concerned about whether the fighter is experienced and/or smart enough to recognize the full implications of a situation. If I am in a situation, I am simply in it. Mercy and other nice warm fuzzies are dangerous things to try and contemplate while in that moment. So far, I have managed to not take a situation beyond where it needed to go. If someone wants to call that mercy, luck, etc. so be it. That is a luxury done from a safe distance.

I do not take or teach Aikido to teach the world a lesson about some supposed philosophical superiority of our art. Aikido has been a vehicle for me to become more centered and capable of maintaining a more peaceful world around me. I share that opportunity with others as well and allow them to decide for themselves how they want their Aikido to fit into their lives. It has made a positive impact upon all areas of my life. To that I am forever indebted to my teacher and have made the choice to teach full-time as a means of passing on the gifts that my teacher passed on to me.

Marc Abrams