View Single Post
Old 09-23-2002, 05:55 AM   #12
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
Quote:
Kevin Wilbanks wrote:
I don't think that's a very useful reply, Dave. We should not turn off our brains when we enter the dojo, and most of us couldn't even if we wanted to. I have a very curious skeptical mind, and I have a very hard time accepting arguments from authority. I have been willing to suspend disbelief about teachings based on the experience and authority of a martial arts teacher... temporarily, but I expect to one day understand the whys and why nots of any teaching for myself. To me, that's what learning is.

If he finds himself doubting his sensei's decisions to the point of 'habit', he'll probably have to find another sensei. Depending upon the sensei, moving on could be a good thing. What if Ken shows up to class next week and his sensei unfurls a giant Nazi flag and starts lecturing about racial purity? Would you still say 'don't second-guess the sensei'?
I'd like to apologise for the surliness of my earlier remark; it's not usually like me to let a REALLY bad night at work come out in what I type. Sorry 'bout that, Ken, and everyone else. Still, I stand by what I said, please let me explain what I meant by it.

I believe that there are times; particularly when one begins training in a new area, where one should take things 'as read'. In other words, trust your teacher implicitly, unless real good grounds not to trust him/her are present. Remember, in this case, the Sensei is not only responsible for teaching the Dojo, he's also responsible for running it; managing the organization, that includes seeing to it that all protocols and regulations are properly followed. He's the one in the position to know whether or not to accept 'Mr. Orange Belt's' orange belt, if he has accepted it, he has accepted it for the dojo and all its members. Therefore, what's good enough for him should be good enough for all members of that dojo. If, as stated elsewhere, 'M.O.B.' is demonstrating lack of ability or attitude worthy of the position, then it becomes something one should bring to the Sensei's attention.

Now, if the Sensei does or says something obviously and/or blatantly incorrect or bad, (such as unfurling a big Nazi flag - Kevin, you have to admit that example was a little over-the-top), then question away. But until then, trust your teacher.

Dave

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.