View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #82
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Saotome Sensei's Training History

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
Well... I think there's a certain amount of hypocrisy in statements like this. How much would you say about your boss in public? Or a close family member? If the Internet Age has taught us anything, it is that comments on the public web have a way of finding their way back to the person concerned, usually in the most embarrassing possible way.

So it's all very well to say that this or that teacher's public statements should be subject to public criticism, quite another to put that teacher's students in a position of having to align themselves (or not) with the critic.

Katherine
Well, I see your point, but on an issue of historical record there isn't really an issues of sides, is there? If someone says 1982 and the public record says 1994 then they're the one that ought to be embarrassed, not the person pointing it out in a nice way. For me, if they can't deal with that then that's their problem. If someone feels that their relationship with their teacher can't handle that then they'd be better off not speaking up and taking "sides".

Best,

Chris