View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #73
Keith Larman
United_States
Re: Saotome Sensei's Training History

Gotta say the ignore feature is your friend. I've used it a few times recently and I find my dander problem now much more manageable. I have a personal rule -- I'll try a few times to bring someone around if I think they're off track. If it becomes apparent that the person on the other end isn't coming around there are really only a few possibilities. One is that I am simply incapable of communicating with that person (fault of mine, fault of theirs, or some combination). Therefore there is no reason to continue. Another possibility is that the other person simply isn't willing to evaluate what you're saying in any sort of intellectually honest fashion. This can be someone who is what my internal narrator will call a "bliss ninny". Or the "it's only real if it works in the flaming octagon of DEATH!" guys. Then there's the folk whose glasses are rather full to begin with and are unable to question even the tiniest of things if it in any ways upset the carefully constructed worldview. The other possibility, of course, is that I'm wrong. So I'll take a little time to consider that as well.

Anyway, for me it goes back to a line by Tom Lehrer. He said "I feel that if a person can't communicate, the very least he can do is to shut up." By ignoring a few key people I find I'm able to take that advice and stay quiet myself knowing it might just be me as well.